The Hometown Heroes program offers down payment assistance to first-time homebuyers who are Harford County residents serving the public. The program encourages these first-time homebuyers to consider home ownership in existing residential communities in Harford County. Hometown Heroes is administered by the Harford County Office of Community & Economic Development. Settlement expense loans up to $5,000 are available to qualifying families.
To qualify for the Hometown Heroes homebuyer program:
- Buyer must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid social security number.
- Buyer must meet the definition of a “First-Time Homebuyer”
- Buyer must meet household income and purchase price limits
- Buyer must occupy the home as primary residence
- Buyer must purchase a home in Harford County, Maryland
- Buyer must be employed full time by one of the following agencies:
- Harford County Sheriff’s Department
- Harford County Public Schools
- Harford County Government
- Harford County Fire and EMS Foundation*
*Harford County Fire and EMS volunteers are eligible if they have accrued at least 50 points
Qualified buyers are required to complete free homebuyer education classes offered through the Harford County Office of Community & Economic Development, a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)-approved housing counseling agency.